John Barrowman Addresses Harassment Claims, Saying They're Taken Out of Context

Tuesday November 23, 2021

John Barrowman
John Barrowman  (Source:Associated Press)

Out British actor John Barrowman attempted to minimize accusations of sexual harassment on the set of "Dr. Who" that emerged earlier this year in an interview with British chat show host Lorraine Kelly, the Daily Mail reported.

It was his first interview since he was cut from "Dancing On Ice" due to the allegations. The Mail said "[Barrowman] gave his side of the story as he candidly said: 'All the people that are making the fuss about it, they weren't there, they don't know the context of things that were done.'"

The 54-year-old actor has admitted to previously exposing himself to cast and crew while working on "Doctor Who" spin-off show "Torchwood."

He described his past actions on set as "silly behaviour" and that he would "never do it now." Earlier he had claimed his behavior on the sets of "Dr. Who" and its spinoff "Torchwood" was "tomfoolery."

"When questioned by Lorraine if he felt his behaviour had 'crossed the line', [Barrowman] agreed that if it were to happen today then it would be, but was quick to accuse people of turning his actions into 'sexual harassment,'" the Mail said.

"I think that if it was now, it would be crossing the line. I think that something that happened 15 years ago, it was bawdy behaviour, silly behaviour, it was being done in the confines of the set, and we were like a family, working together," he told Kelly.

"The fact that it was stories that I've already told. I've been telling them for years. I haven't hidden anything, they've been exaggerated, and they've tried to turn them into sexual harassment which it absolutely is not."

He continued: "The one thing for me, all the people that are making the fuss about it, they weren't there, they don't know the context of things that were done. The continued bashing is not good. We've moved on."

Adding, "Like I said, I would never do it now but what we're not allowing people and myself to do...we're not allowing people to learn to adapt and to change, and that's the most important thing."

Asked if he was nervous to be doing the interview, Barrowman answered that he feels he needs to monitor everything he does now, but added he will continue to be "outrageous," but in a different context.

"I'm extremely nervous, and that is not me. The fact of the matter is I know throughout my career and everything I've done, it's promoting people to be yourself, to not be ashamed of who you are and at the moment what's happening is I feel like I'm having to monitor everything."

But he concluded: "I'll get past that. I'll still have fun, I'll still be silly, I'll still be outrageous but in a different context to what it was 15 years ago... And we can't change that. It's not going to happen again."

The Daily Mail added that no charges were brought against the media personality after allegations about him exposing himself were revealed in May following more serious allegations of sexual harassment against his "Doctor Who" co-star Noel Clarke.